Every year the Rondout Rowing Club hosts a Learn-to-Row session in early June. If you missed the Learn-to-Row session, but are interested in learning to row, please contact Bill Cote at email@example.com or email RondoutRowingClub@gmail.com.
Additional resources can be found at the following links:
- Basic rowing technique
- Common Mistakes in Rowers’ Techniques The Oarsman March/April 1978
- How to tie down a boat
The Rondout Rowing Club is not offering formal coxing training at this time. If you’d like to learn more about coxing, check out the following links:
- Guide to Coxing
- Olympic coxswain, Mary Whipple on coxing
- How to be the perfect cox | Henley 2015
- Head of The Charles Regatta – Official Coxswain Video 2011
A sculling clinic is often provided in July. Check our RECENT POSTS periodically to see if a clinic is scheduled. Some links on sculling:
- Natural Rowing Technique (sculling)
- Five Drills https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gChwVL4uXA
- Drills and Habits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kacj-Vh6AMQ
- Recovery to Catch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3MdSkh2s2o
- How to Position Your Hands and Hold Your Oars Body and Blade Prep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4yWtnTFdoY
- Mastering the Drive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2np88emUfuE
- Standing Launch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8bg_nQhh_4
- How to Steer Your Scull https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ry2O5f8q0Y
- En espanol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz1RKQIX178
- Sculling Technique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dQsOwkkU0o
- On balance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQqcwCrotN0
- Natural Rowing Technique
Erg or Indoor Rowing
The Rondout Rowing Club sponsors erg classes in the winter through the Kingston YMCA. Check our events page to see if a program is scheduled or send us an email and we will find an instructor for private lessons.
Many links and videos can be found in Coaches Corner under RESOURCES.
Level I Requirements include:
- Current USRowing Membership.
- First Aid, CPR and Boating Safety Certifications.
- Passing the USOC “Safe Sport” ethics online training.
- Familiarity with the USRowing Safety video.
- Familiarity with the Level 1 Manual.
- Familiarity with the suggested reading and videos for this level.
- Attending a one-day coaching clinic with theoretical exam completed on site.
- 10 hours of post-course practical coaching with the mentor in the club.
For Certification: USRowing Certification: Level I, II and III
RRC needs help with piloting of safety launches. If you are interested, please send us an email at RondoutRowingClub@gmail.com.
Please see the Safety section on this website and watch USRowing Safety Video. Additional resources:
Boaterexam.com Pay when you take the exam, the course is free
The BoatUS Foundation and get the printed license for $10
For a guide: New York State Boater’s Guide
While we do not offer First Aid/CPR courses, we welcome those who are trained or certified.
Online certification: http://www.procpr.org/en/info/show_course/4-adult-only-cpr-and-first-aid